Fiddler Capture HTTPS
You want to capture HTTPS traffic to/from PortalGuard, and would like to know what program to use and how to perform this action.
Download and configure Fiddler to capture HTTP/HTTPS web traffic.
Fiddler is a web browser proxy that can capture HTTP/HTTPS requests from your browser and the associated responses from any web servers. It can capture both clear-text (HTTP) and encrypted (HTPS) traffic when configured properly.
Fiddler can be downloaded from the following location:
- Once opened, Fiddler will automatically begin capturing web traffic.
In Fiddler navigate to the 'Tools' menu and click on 'Options'.
In the new 'Options' window, navigate to the HTTPS tab.
Ensure the box labeled 'Capture HTTPS CONNECTs' is checked.
Check the box labeled 'Decrypt HTTPS traffic'.
- By default, HTTPS traffic is NOT captured, and Fiddler will need to be configured appropriately in order to do so.
Check the box labeled 'Ignore server certificate errors (unsafe)'
Your final result should resemble the following:
You are now able to capture both HTTP and HTTPS traffic via Fiddler.
- After a moment, you will receive a pop-up that says 'SCARY TEXT AHEAD: Read Carefully!' - this is expected. Click 'Yes' to trust the Fiddler Root certificate.
- Another pop-up will appear to display a 'Security Warning' - this is also expected. Click 'Yes' to install the certificate.
- A third pop-up will appear asking you to confirm that you want to add the certificate to the Machine Root List. Click 'Yes'.
- A final confirmation pop-up will appear. Click 'Ok'.
- A valid capture of both HTTP and HTTPS traffic will resemble the following:
Using Fiddler to Troubleshoot PortalGuard Integrations
- Open Fiddler and ensure it is 'Capturing' the traffic.
- Open a web browser on the same machine and duplicate the error.
- Navigate to Fiddler and stop capturing web traffic.
Click on the 'File' menu and then choose 'Save' -> 'All Sessions'.
This will open a prompt to save the full capture as a .saz file. Give the file a name and save it to a location that you will be able to navigate to.
- Navigate to 'File' and click on 'Capture Traffic'
Create a ticket with PortalGuard Technical Support that describes the issue at hand and provide the .saz file containing the captured web traffic when the issue was duplicated.
- If the file is very large, compress it to a .zip format before sending.
REV. 09/2018 | PortalGuard