How to use the PortalGuard Admin Dashboard Utility
You want to know how to access the PortalGuard Admin Dashboard and generate reports or lookup details for specific user accounts.
Read through this article and follow the included steps to understand more about the PortalGuard Administrator Dashboard ("Admin Dashboard"), and utilize the various features. The Admin Dashboard provides your administrators with reporting on PortalGuard activity and allows them to view information about PortalGuard’s user profile data for individual users.
Key Features | Quick Navigation
Some of the Admin Dashboard's Key features include:
- PortalGuard must be configured to utilize an SQL back-end.
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 or Later is supported within PortalGuard (Express, Standard, or Enterprise edition)
- Users must be granted access to the Admin Dashboard specifically
- Follow the steps from This KB article to allow users to access the Admin Dashboard.
- Reporting must be enabled in the 'Bootstrap Configuration' of the PortalGuard Configuration Editor
- To capture SSO Activity, reporting must be enabled within the 'General IdP Settings' of the Identity Provider Configuration Editor as well.
Accessing the Admin Dashboard
- Navigate to the Admin Dashboard URL for PortalGuard and login with an authorized user
- The Admin Dashboard URL will follow this format:
Real-time Activity Reports
Real-time Activity Reports allow administrators to see specific activity occurring on the PortalGuard server. The Activity Reporting functionality of the Admin Dashboard is available as soon as user successfully authenticates into the utility.
- These Activity Reports provide a snapshot of the most recent PortalGuard activity with out-of-the-box reports, including:
- Login Activity (Successful and Failed)
- Account Lockouts
- Self-Service Usage
- Web Single Sign-On Activity
The steps below cover basic usage steps:
Click on the '--Choose Report Here--' Dropdown to run one of the out-of-the-box reports available with PortalGuard.
Click the 'Generate' button to view the report:
- The default view of the Activity Reporting page will resemble the following:
Advanced Filtering for Reports
The Admin Dashboard allows you to filter the report data based on a specific user and/or date window.
- To adjust the report data filter, ensure the filter options are visible by clicking the link next to the 'Generate' button
Simply specify a specific username and/or a date range to limit the reporting and click the 'Generate' button again to run the report with the new filter options.
- If the link is labeled 'Show Filter Options', clicking it will cause the filter options to appear
- If the link is labeled 'Hide Filter Options', clicking it will cause the filter options to disappear
- For this example the 'Successful Logins' report was run for just the 'greenlantern' user
Ability to Create Custom Reports
PortalGuard's reporting feature allows for easy customization of the out-of-the-box reports, as well as the creation of custom reports.
The report definition files are stored in the following folder:
- C:\Program Files\PistolStar\PortalGuard\Policies\ReportDefinitions
Please refer to our KB article on How to Create Custom Reports for the Admin Dashboard Utility for more information.
Drill-down User Detail Lookup
Viewing PortalGuard's user profile data can be helpful when troubleshooting a user's access issue. The Admin Dashboard grants administrators full access to view the entirety of the data contained within a user's PortalGuard User Profile.
In the 'User' field, start typing the user's logon name or last name. Matching names will appear automatically after you've entered at least two characters:
Click on the name for the user you want to view and the details will be displayed on the screen
To see the details for a different user, click the 'Clear Display' button and repeat the steps above for the new user.
- To view the PortalGuard User Profile data for a specific user, click the 'User Detail Lookup' link in the upper right-hand corner of the Admin Dashboard utility:
REV. 08/2018 | PortalGuard