How to Install PG Desktop
You need to install PG Desktop on a target machine. You may also need to output the installer logs for troubleshooting purposes.
Execute PortalGuard Desktop(64-bit).msi through an administrative command prompt, adding a logging flag to the command if necessary.
Ensure that the machine is joined to your Active Directory domain before installing PG Desktop.
- Create a folder on the machine you intend to install PortalGuard Desktop on. Copy 'PortalGuard Desktop(64-bit).msi' to this folder.
- This file can be found in your PortalGuard installation kit under 'ADDINS\PortalGuard Desktop'
- The latest version can also be downloaded directly from here.
- Search "cmd" in the windows task bar. Right click "Command Prompt" and click "Run as Administrator"
- Use the "cd" command to change your location to the folder being used in step 1.
- Enter the following command into the command prompt:
- msiexec.exe /i "PortalGuard Desktop (64-bit).msi"
- NOTE: If you need a logs from the installer to be outputted, run the following command instead: msiexec.exe /i "PortalGuard Desktop (64-bit).msi" /l*v "PGDesktop.log"
- Go through the PortalGuard Desktop Installer
- Accept the License Agreement.
- If using Desktop Two Factor Login, enable the second feature. If not, leave this page at the defaults
- Enter your base PortalGuard login URL.
- NOTE: Make sure this machine can reach this URL. If it cannot, the installer will not continue and produce an error.
- Click Install.
- Click Finish.
- If you wish to enable local account logins, click 'No' on the next window and continue to the next section. If you don't then click 'Yes' to restart the computer.
To enable and allow local account logins
- When prompted to restart the computer, click 'No'.
- Search Windows for regedit.exe and run this as administrator.
- Navigate the left hand tree: 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\PistolStar\PortalGuard'
- Right click the right panel and select New > String Value. Name this LocalLogin
- Right Click this new entry and select Modify...
- Set 'Value data' to 1.
- Restart the computer.
- When wanting to log in as a local account, add ./ before the username.
NOTE: If you need a way to install PG Desktop silently, we can provide custom .mst files that can be applied to the .msi installer. The installation can also be done remotely through group policy.
REV. 08/2021 | PortalGuard