Creating Dynamic Links for The Help Desk Console and Admin Dashboard
You want to add dynamic links for the PortalGuard Help Desk Console and Admin Dashboard to your Single Sign-On Jump Page.
Use the provided templates to create SSO Tiles that can be tailored to the correct users for authorization.
- Download the attached 'HelpDesk-AdminDashboard.zip' file to your PortalGuard Server.
- Navigate to the PortalGuard server and extract the contents of the zip file. You should now have two files:
- PG Admin Dashboard.saml.rp.xml
- PG Help Desk.saml.rp.xml
- Copy or Move these files to your PortalGuard 'Policies' folder:
- The default location is 'C:\Program Files\PistolStar\PortalGuard\Policies'
- Open the Identity Provider Configuration Editor.
- Under the 'SAML Websites' tab, you should see two new entries:
- Edit the 'PG Admin Dashboard' website by either double-clicking or highlighting the entry and clicking the 'Edit' button.
- On the 'General' tab, update the Assertion Consumer URL to reflect your PortalGuard host name:
- For example, if you normally access PortalGuard via https://portal.myschool.edu, simply update the root host name (everything before the '/PG_Dashboard/' portion.
- Navigate to the 'IdP-Initiated' tab and update the display information as needed. You will also need to update the Default URL value here to match the previous URL:
- Important Note: the 'shield.png' file is NOT in the default SSO image location. To use that file as a thumbnail, you must copy it from the 'C:\inetpub\PortalGuard\_layouts\Images\PG\images\shield.png' location to 'C:\inetpub\PortalGuard\sso\img'.
- If you wish to use another image, simply select it from here, but ensure the image exists in the '...\sso\img' location.
- You can also use NO thumbnail bu simply clearing out the value of Display Image
- The Default URL here must match the Assertion Consumer URL value from the previous step.
- Navigate to the 'Authorization' tab and use the 'Add' button to limit access to the necessary users:
- Important Note: The users that you add here MUST match the users listed as allowed in the web config file for the Admin Dashboard (c:\inetpub\PortalGuard\PG_Dashboard\web.config).
- If you leave the Authorized Users list empty, ALL users will be able to see and click on the link. Users will receive an authorization error if they are not granted access to the Dashboard specifically. For more information, see our KB Article on the Admin Dashboard: How to Use the PortalGuard Admin Dashboard Utility
- Save the Configuration.
- Edit the 'PG Help Desk' website by following the same process as noted in steps #7-10.
- Important Note: The users/groups defined on the 'Authorization' tab must match the users that are granted access through the 'User Repository' configuration. For more information, please review our KB articles on the PortalGuard Help Desk Console:
- Save the configuration.
- Apply and Synchronize the changes.
- Login to your PortalGuard SSO Jump Page with a user that falls into one or both 'Authorization' lists configured in the previous steps and view the new links:
REV. 01/2020 | PortalGuard